A study confirms that coregasm, female orgasm without sex or fantasies while exercising, is no myth. Accounts of this phenomenon, known as “coregasm” due to its association with core abdominal muscle exercises, have for some time been circulating in the media.
The study found that the most common exercises related to orgasm induced by exercise were abdominal exercises, spinning/biking, climbing ropes or poles and lifting weights. Online surveys were given to 124 women ranging in age from 18 to 63 having experienced orgasm induced by exercise and 246 women having experienced sexual pleasure induced by exercise. Most were married or in a relationship, and approximately 69% identified themselves as heterosexual.
- Approximately 40% of women who had experienced orgasm induced by exercise and sexual pleasure induced by exercise had done so 10 times or more.
- The majority of the women who had experienced orgasm induced by exercise noted feeling self-conscious while exercising in public places, with approximately 20% unable to control their experience.
- The majority of women who reported orgasm induced by exercise said they weren’t fantasizing sexually or thinking of anyone they were attracted to at the time of their experiences.
- Different forms of physical exercise were related to orgasm induced by exercise and sexual pleasure induced by exercise. Of the women who experienced orgasm induced by exercise, 51.4% reported experiencing an orgasm associated with abdominal exercises within the past 90 days. Other women documented experiencing orgasm in association with other exercises, 26.5 % with lifting weights, 20% with yoga, 15.8% with bicycling, 13.2% with running and 9.6% with walking/hiking.
- Ab exercises were in particular related to the “captain’s chair” in open-ended responses, which is made up of a rack with padded back support and arm rests allowing the legs to hang free. The goal is to lift the knees toward the chest repeatedly or toward a 90-degree angle with the body.
The researchers didn’t establish how common it is for women to experience orgasm induced by exercise or sexual pleasure induced by exercise. But it took only 5 weeks for recruiting the 370 women who had experienced the phenomenon, indicating that it’s not that rare.
Want to use our images on your site? Right click on image for embed code