8 Toxic Foods That You Should Stop Consuming

1. Butter flavored microwave popcorn

The chemical diacetyl, used for adding the fake butter flavor to microwave popcorn has been found to cause a life-threatening and irreversible lung disease known as “popcorn lung” in workers who inhaled the substance.[1][2]

In response to the “popcorn lung” studies, manufacturers have started replacing diacetyl with another toxic chemical called 2,3-pentanedione (PD). A laboratory study has shown that PD damages the airway epithelium much the same as diacetyl. This damage is believed to be the underlying cause of “popcorn lung”.[3]

There has also been a suggested link between diacetyl and Alzheimer’s disease. Diacetyl also easily penetrates the blood-brain barrier, a layer of cells which keeps harmful substances from entering the brain but allows helpful substances to cross.[4]

What to do: Ditch the butter flavored microwave popcorn completely as these toxic chemicals are not required to be disclosed so reading the label is no guarantee of knowing which brands contain them. Pour organic melted butter (in moderation) over your popcorn for an authentic and non-toxic flavoring.


Want to use our images on your site? Right click on image for embed code

Simply copy and paste the code below to embed the image on your page